Monday, February 22, 2010

Blogger About Town

I may have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus through December and January, but I managed to stay connected to the blogging world in some meaningful ways that I'd like to share with you.

First, GIVE ME YOUR BLOOD!!! Okay, actually, give Manic your blood!!! Okay, really actually, give the Red Cross your blood!!! Okay, really actually truly give someone in need your blood!!!! There we go. :)

All of that is to say, drop what you're doing and enter the Third Annual MaNiC MoMMy'S Virtual Blog for Blood Drive Challenge!! Find all of the rules here and see yours truly's entry here!! And just because I am THAT mean, here are the yucky ew blood pics of my FIRST EVER blood donation:

It was a bit hard to smile

Seriously? You're taking my picture? Not saving me?

This pic makes me fainty

Oop, no, there we go- this one's way worse! AIEEEE!

I wanted a picture including my ring- is that weird?

Ugh. Still feeling queasy. On the up side, I learned that I'm A Positive. On the downside, that's one of the most common and limiting types (to give and receive). Laaaaame. On the upside, RightHand and I have the same blood type. SWOOOOON. Now we can truly save each other, give each other life, [insert something else sickeningly sweet here]. And oh yeah, I may have saved some lives. :)

In all seriousness, GO ENTER NOW. There are awesome prizes, and normally I would hide the contest away so that I could win them ALL myself (teehee), so you KNOW this is important. Don't like needles? Neither do I. Don't like blood? Pretend the tech is Edward and he's all dreamy and sucks your blood or I-don't-know-what-I'm-only-at-the-beginning-of-the-second-book-and-yes-I-know-that-means-I'm-behind-the-entire-country-on-this. Do it! For me! For you! For them!

Secondly, and certainly not leastly, send a postcard. See, this task is even easier! Would I ever ask TOO much of you, dear readers?

So, apparently there is a blogger named Anissa who suffered a stroke. I had never heard of her, and then her name and plight were EVERYWHERE (at least in the blogosphere). And I hate to admit this, but I was, well, nearly annoyed. Me reading along: "Haha, funny story, funny joke, Anissa woman, blah blah blah blah...." I would skim over what happened to her, feel slightly sad, and move on.

But the posts continued pouring in, continued mentioning her. Everyone is special, and I do truly believe that. But all of this attention made me realize that yes, this particular woman is definitely special, has definitely touched many lives, to inspire such love and connection.

And that's when I happened upon the The Postcard Project for Anissa. Another post, yes, but I read and scrolled down, thinking I wouldn't participate, and then I saw this:

Anissa Mayhew
860 Johnson Ferry Road 140-184
Atlanta, Georgia 30342

Johnson Ferry Road.
I live(d) not 5 minutes from that road. She is one of us. She could be us, she is us, she could be me, my mom... It all came together. I wish I could say I did something profound, something that cured something, something that changed the world. But the truth is, I just mailed a postcard. This postcard:


Maybe you could, too?

No comments: